Journal of Microbiology
About JM
Aims & Scope
Editorial Board
Instructions to Authors
On-line Submission
Archives
Article Search
미생물학회지
(Korean J. Microbiol.)
Webzine
학술대회 초록집
기타발간
home > 발간 사업 > Journal of Microbiology
Title Evaluation of Negative Results of BacT/Alert 3D Automated Blood Culture System
Author M. Esra Kocoglu*, Aysen Bayram, and Iclal Balcl
Address Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Gaziantep University, Gaziantep, Turkey
Bibliography Journal of Microbiology, 43(3),257-259, 2005,
DOI
Key Words BacT/Alert 3D, false-negative results, subculture
Abstract Although automated continuous-monitoring blood culture systems are both rapid and sensitive, false-positive and false-negative results still occur. The objective of this study, then, was to evaluate negative results occurring with BacT/Alert 3D blood culture systems. A total of 1032 samples were cultured with the BacT/Alert 3D automated blood culture system, using both aerobic (BPA) and anaerobic (BPN) media, and 128 of these samples yielded positive results. A total of 904 negative blood samples were then subcultured in 5% sheep blood agar, eosin methylene blue, chocolate agar, and sabouraud-dextrose agar. Organisms growing on these subcultures were subsequently identified using both Vitek32 (bioMerieux, Durham, NC) and conventional methods. Twenty four (2.6%) of the 904 subcultures grew on the subculture media. The majority (83.3%) of these were determined to be gram-positive microorganisms. Fourteen (58.3%) were coagulase-negative staphylococci, two (8.3%) were Bacillus spp., one (4.2%) was Staphylococcus aureus, and one (4.2%) was identified as Enterococcus faecium. Streptococcus pneumoniae and Neisseria spp. were isolated together in two (8.3%) vials. Gram-negative microorganisms comprised 12.5% of the subcultures, of which two (8.3%) were found to be Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and one (4.2%) was Pseudomonas fluorescens. The other isolate (4.2%) was identified as Candida albicans. We conclude that the subculture of negative results is valuable in the BacT/Alert 3D system, especially in situations in which only one set of blood cultures is taken.
논문을 브라우져로 열고 싶으시면 저장을 묻는 창에서"열기"를 선택하여 주십시오.
    단, PDF Viewer가 설치 되어 있어야 합니다.

 


COPYRIGHTⓒ THE MICROBIOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF KOREA. ALL RIGHT RESERVED.

06130 서울시 강남구 테헤란로 7길 22(역삼동 635-4) 한국과학기술회관 신관 810호

사업자등록번호 : 220-82-01706 ㅣ사단법인 한국미생물학회

Tel. +82-2-3453-3321/86(Journal) ㅣ Fax. +82-2-3453-3322 ㅣ msk@msk.or.kr오시는 길